By registering and submitting entries for the Chingay 2020 Lyrics Writing Competition (“Competition”), you (“Participant(s)”) hereby declare, acknowledge and accept the following terms and conditions from 1 to 4, organised by the People’s Association (“Organiser”), for Chingay Parade 2020 (“Event”) which is scheduled to take place on Friday, 31 January and Saturday 1 February 2020.
1) General Terms & Conditions
- The Competition is open to all Singapore Citizens, Permanent Residents and Foreigners living in Singapore with a valid student or work visa; or long-term visit pass and must be aged 15 years old and above (participants should be born on or before 31 December 2014).
- Employees of the Organiser and their immediate family members are not eligible for participation.
- All personal details submitted must be accurate and complete with verification made available upon request. The Organiser reserves the right to disqualify incomplete or inaccurate entries.
- Each entry for the Competition must be an original work in the English language (the "Entries") that has not won a prize in other competitions in Singapore or overseas and has not been recorded or performed in public, or published in print, online or on any other platforms or medium. Translated works will not be accepted.
- Incomplete, indecipherable, ineligible or incorrect entries will be disqualified at the Organiser’s discretion. The Organiser will not accept any responsibility for entries lost, delayed, misdirected, damaged or undelivered. The Organiser shall not be responsible for technical errors in telecommunication networks, Internet access or otherwise preventing entry to the Competition.
- Participant(s) can submit multiple entries for the Competition if each entry contains a different original work. Repeat Entries and any Entries that contain content that (i) is inappropriate, indecent, obscene, hateful, defamatory, blasphemous, libellous, and offensive; or (ii) promotes bigotry, racism, harm against any group / individual or (iii) promotes discrimination based on race, gender, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation, age etc. or (iv) has any religious, political, advocacy messaging will be disqualified.
- Co-written entries (multiple writers) can be submitted for selection, all writers' names have to be included in the Entry submission.
- Submitted lyrics should have at least 2 verses and 1 chorus and portray the Chingay Parade 2020's theme - "Colours in Harmony", as well as to celebrate Singapore's multi-racial and unique cultural identity.
- Any personal information, including without limitation, the Participant’s name, age, address (including postcode), telephone number and/or email address will be used solely in connection with this Competition and will not be disseminated without express permission from the participants. Participants who have granted permission to disclose his/her personal information to a third party, absolves the Organiser from all responsibilities in relation to the disclosure of such information.
- The Organiser reserves the right to terminate the Competition and / or to modify and / or amend the Rules and Regulations prior to the Closing Date, at its sole and absolute discretion. Any such amendments and modifications shall be notified via the Event Website, and such amendments and modifications shall be effective immediately, applicable to all entries, including entries that have been submitted to the Organiser.
2) Copyright Declaration
By registering and submitting entries for the Competition, the participant declares, acknowledges and agrees that
- Contents of the entries submitted for the Competition are original works belonging to the respective names as stated in the Entries.
- The Organiser reserves the right to remove and disqualify any Entries which breach the copyright of any existing literary or musical works under the Singapore Copyright Act.
- The Organiser reserves all rights to use the names, photos, submitted entries and any other relevant information of the participant provided for marketing and promotional efforts of this competition without further notice and compensation.
- While authorship of any winning Entries (i.e. First and Merit prizes) (the "Winning Entries)") will be acknowledged accordingly, the intellectual property and all other rights (the "Rights") of all Winning Entries shall belong to the Organiser.
- The Organiser reserves the right to record, produce and release any of the Winning Entries without any upfront royalty payment. Therefore, by submitting your original entries to this Competition, the participant(s) acknowledges and agrees that no upfront royalty fee will be compensated to the participants and their respective music publishers (if any) should the submitted entries be recorded and used by the Organiser during the Competition or for the Event or at any time thereafter.
- The Organiser reserves the right to select the Winning entry for music composition by an appointed composer to be used for Chingay 2020. The Organiser also reserves the right to make changes to the chosen entry in consultation with the original writer(s). In the event that none of the winning entries are suitable for production and use for Chingay 2020, the Organiser reserves the right not to use any of the entries but may use the winning entries for future Chingay Parades.
- The Organisers reserve the right to disqualify the Entries and recover all prizes awarded to the Participant(s) in addition to recovering any costs dispensed for the production of the winning Entries.
3) Open Call Submission
- The Open Call Submission is valid from 21 June to 8 August 2019, 23:59 hrs.
- All entries must be submitted through the online submission page on the Chingay Website www.chingay.org.sg , complete with the participants’ information & Lyrics in a PDF document (.pdf).
- Full name of all Participants should be stated clearly in the lyric submission.
- All entries must be received before 8 August 2019, 23:59 hrs.
- Entries received by the Organiser will not be returned.
4) Judging Criteria
- Entries will be judged by an independent panel of judges appointed by PA and three winning entries will receive cash prizes. One or more of the winning entries may be chosen to be used for the Chingay 2020 Finale Theme Song and any related events organised by the People's Association. Decision of the Judges is final and no correspondences and enquiries on Judges’ decision shall be entertained.
- Entries will be judged based on lyrics writing technique, such as the lyrics' poetic imagery, rhyming, lyrical composition, and how it can be adapted musically for recording usage.
- Announcement of the Winners will be made in September 2019 via the Chingay website, www.chingay.org.sg. Winners will be notified via email on the prize collection details.